Safety & The Route
Our 62.5-mile Silver Start is located at Palisades Credit Union Park at Harriman State Park. With the mountains at our backs, we wind our way through lower Hudson Valley and Rockland County’s quaint villages and towns such as Montebello and Pearl River.
Green 25-mile Start Area is in Orangeburg, NY at Dynamic Productions. Again, the 25-mile start serves as a rest area for all Riders from further distances. As the route progresses towards New York City, Riders enter Bergen County, NJ.
- Don’t forget your helmet. Riders will not be able to ride without an approved ANSI, Snell or ASTM helmet.
- ROADS ARE NOT CLOSED for the Ride. You must follow traffic rules and heed stop signs and traffic lights.
- The route is clearly marked with Velocity route arrows that are posted approximately every ¼ mile. Velocity does not use spray chalk arrows on the roadway.
- Every Rider is required to wear an event wristband which has an Emergency Help Line phone number printed on it.
- Use the Emergency Help Line number if you need assistance on the route or find yourself having inadvertently left the marked route. The Emergency Help Line will connect you to our command center and help will be dispatched to your location.
- In the event of a MEDICAL EMERGENCY, dial 911 FIRST, and then dial the Emergency Help Line to report the emergency.
- The Route closes promptly at 3:15pm. If you are unable to complete your ride or need a boost to a Rest Stop for mechanical support, our dedicated Road Crew is there to help!
- Riders tackling the 62.5 mile route MUST consistently ride at 12mph in order to make it to the finish line by 3:15pm. Please train accordingly.
- At 3:15pm, if you are still on the route, you will be swept to the Finish Line, no exceptions.
- Our Sweep Team will advance you to the next Start Area/Rest Stop where you can receive support and continue riding or you and your bike can be transported to the Finish Line.
- Please do not use Sweep as a taxi service between Start Area/Rest Stop as they are needed for Riders who are in need of true medical or mechanical attention.
- Our caboose follows the last rider and will provide options to you so that you can spend as many miles in the saddle as possible.
- Please note that disregarding Ride policies or the instructions of Staff or Road Crew is cause for immediate dismissal from the Ride.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Please make sure you are drinking both water and sports drink during your journey.
- If you’re not sweating and you’re not peeing, you are NOT hydrated!
- Snacks, water and sports drinks will be available to you at the Rest Stops.
- Medical support is available at every Start Area/Rest Stop along the route and at the Finish Line Festival.
Routes: You may choose to ride 25 or 62.5. Please note that mileages are approximate. We may call one route a metric century (62.5 miles) but in fact that true mileage may be closer to 66 miles. Mileage is calculated via odometer in a vehicle, which will always differ from a bike computer. In addition, mileage is accounted for from point to point, i.e. driveway to driveway, and therefore mileage between rest stops may compute more on your bike as you will ride into a Start Area/Rest stop to an area where you set your bike down, which will ultimately add mileage that is not calculated in our scouting vehicle because we are not pulling into rest stops.
The Palisades Push: Let's talk about hills! All cycling events have hills and ours is no different. All Velocity riders will encounter hills along various portions of our route, including a short, but steep hill towards the end of the route—affectionately named ‘The Palisades Push’.
If you need help getting up the Palisades Push on Ride Day, a support vehicle will be there to give you a lift. Remember, it doesn't matter how you cross the finish line, what matters is that through your participation, you are giving hope to the millions of people impacted by cancer.
Get The Word Out